With the warmer weather arriving it means many sporting seasons are underway for the summer months so here are a few tips for injury prevention:
- Always warm up before undertaking exercise. Walk or jog to warm up your muscles and to gradually increase your heart rate.
- Stretch. Stretching helps improve circulation flexibility and helps with range of motion. Stretching also helps warm up muscles prior to exercise.
- Slowly increase time and tempo. Avoid going too hard to soon when it comes to exercising as you may overdo it and cause injury.
- Rest and recovery. It is important to listen to your body. Allow time to recover and avoid overtraining.
- Use the correct equipment i.e. using the correct runners when out running, and the correct boots for sport example studs for soft ground and moulded boots for hard ground.
- Warm down. This allows your heart rate to slow down and for your muscles to get used to a slower place and will help reduce soreness after exercise.